Community planning principles
The community planning principles were developed though community consultation and they continue to underpin the way we do water planning.
The community planning principles were developed from the findings of the Phase 1 consultation and validated during Phase 2.
These principles will continue to underpin the way in which the 2010 plan is delivered.
- Provide water that is affordable and safe to drink.
- Ensure enough water to meet both environmental and human needs – one not more important than the other.
- Ensure a dependable long-term water supply for current and future generations.
- Maximise water efficiency and recycling, especially capturing stormwater and invest in research and innovation.
- Restore clean healthy waterways and ensure health of catchments by reducing pollution.
- Ensure government and community take joint responsibility for water management.
- Share water – taking into consideration all relevant sectors and regions.